I was thinking about why curse-words are censored. What is the argument behind this? I googled a few debates, but I didn’t find a single argument why curse-words are bad, so I felt I had to write a post about it.
People who are against the use of curse-words say that:
1. People who use curse-words have a limited vocabulary and are stupid.
2. People use curse-words to be offensive and insulting.
3. People shouldn’t use curse-words because children might learn them.
4. People should not use crude or foul language because the Bible says so.
5. People shouldn’t say fuck instead of making love, it diminishes the beauty of sexual love.
Now, you may notice that none of these statements are arguments for why curse-words are bad. But we’ll deal with them one at a time anyway.
1. You don’t necessarily have to have a limited vocabulary or be a moron just because you use curse-words. Rather, by adding curse-words to your vocabulary you’re actually able to express yourself in a more varied manner. And language is just one part of the intellect, you can be terribly smart in other areas without a dictionary in your mind.
2. You can use curse-words in numerous different ways without meaning to hurt, offend or insult anyone. An insult is always an insult, regardless of which words you use. It’s the intent behind the word that makes it either offensive or not, not the actual word itself, unless you are offended by hearing the word, but if you’re offended merely by the word itself then you need to give an argument why the word is bad, and we’ll get to that soon.
3. If certain words are inherently bad, then yes, it’s probably good to have an age limit. But the question remains, what is the argument for curse-words being bad?
4. Don’t use foul language, the Bible says, but how do we define what a bad word is? Which words are bad? The Bible doesn’t say.
5. Again, this is only true if the word fuck is a bad word and there are still no signs of an argument supporting that.
Even if I did agree that it’s bad to use bad language, then how do we determine which words are bad? Let’s examine a few words.
Excrement, poo, shit, cunt, ass, butt, making love, having sex, fucking, eating, penis, vagina, arsehole, cock, bullshit, crap, hell, death, torture, nipples, breasts, breast-milk, tits, udder, bloodshed, elbow, nose, pussy, pubes, damn, dick, damnation, devil, angel, balls, piss, semen, urine, cunt, idiot, stupid, kitchen?
All Swedish curse-words are connected to the devil or to genitals and excrement: jävlar (devils), helvete (hell), satan (satan), fan (satan), fitta (pussy), kuk (cock), röv (ass), skit (shit). Then there are a lot of insults that aren’t really curse-words, like bitch (bitch), hora (whore), slyna (whore), slampa (whore), luder (whore), cp (stupid, actually cerebral palsy), mongo (stupid) and a lot more insults. But as I mentioned already, insults are insults because of their intent, not because of which words you use.
Now, can anyone give an argument why some of these words are bad and why some are not? Why is fucking bad and eating not bad? Why is cock bad and penis not bad? Why is shit bad and excrement not bad?
The curse-words are either religious and avoided because you don’t want to call on the devil or they describe the filthiness of the human body. I don’t think the devil exists and I don’t think the human body is disgusting and even if I did I can find no reason why some words for describing the body and its functions are worse than other words describing the very same things. Why are people so strange, why are the body functions taboo? A researcher found that there are over a thousand synonyms for being pregnant in the Swedish language. Why are we not allowed to talk about something so natural, a requirement for the very existence of all living humans? Maybe because realizing how the body works makes it easier for people to realize that we are not created by God, not magical, divine or special in any way. Maybe we’re scared of being natural, soulless, temporal and mortal. That makes censorship religious propaganda, although these taboos are very old and not limited to modern religions. They might’ve originated in pre-historic cultures as a means of social control of issues relating to sex.
Someone tell me what differentiates a bad word from an acceptable word.
Please, someone explain to my why I have to accept living in a world where certain words, for no reason, are not allowed.